Monday, January 25, 2010

Nature or Nurture?

After our last few rides being more challenging I have been thinking of testing Drifter for PSSM. It is the Quarter Horse version of EPSM- which is a metabolic disorder and causes cramping, muscle atrophy, back soreness and other symptoms.

After reading about PSSM it may explain some of Drifters' NQR symptoms in the hind legs in the past as well as the increasing difficulty with the level of work we are doing. There is a DNA test that would rule in/out Type 1 PSSM. Type 2 can only be diagnosed with a muscle biopsy.

I will also be discussing with the barn the possibility of changing her diet to a more PSSM friendly diet. I didn't see my horses all last week, so I am looking forward to going out to see her on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment